Tuesday 30 April 2013

Sonnenschein!

A bright, sunny day in Berlin. My heart goes out to them as they seem to have really brutal winters, and it's much cooler and slower to welcome spring than northern France.

WED_8002 WED_8004

The not-to distant past is always present here. The city was mostly destroyed in WWII, but memorials and reminders popped up everywhere. We walked over to the bombed ruins of the Kaiser William Church, and then on to the Berlin Zoo.

WED_8008 WED_8012 WED_8020 WED_8029

Seeing the Elephants look bored and the apes with their looks of melancholy makes me feel guilty for staring.

WED_8031 WED_8038 WED_8041 WED_8057 WED_8067

Afterwards, a walk in a couple parks. I loved how everyone was out, picnicking and drinking beer. Drinking in public still just feels weird to me. I still try to tuck the bottle out of sight behind my handbag or wrap my jacket around it. I feel like a closeted puritan.

WED_8075 WED_8082

A friend was telling us about how the Journeyman carpenter guild has to wear a vest and tophat as they roam around the country for three years. You can approach one and ask for them to do work around your house and they can't refuse.

WED_8086

How weird, right? They take vows of poverty and depend on the charity of others to get fed and sheltered as they work their way around the country.

WED_8087 WED_8090

We also checked out Treptower Park.

WED_8098

It's an enormous memorial and cemetery dedicated to the Soviets. It's...odd.

WED_8099 WED_8100 WED_8103 WED_8105

All over the city, you can still find the guard towers that lined the border between East and West.

WED_8106 WED_8107

I felt like 3 days here wasn't nearly enough. Its sprawling, and there's a lot to take in. Learning the metro system was kind of a challenge since the maps were devoid of any geographical details, but once we figured out the basics, it was easy to get around. It also would be an excellent place to rent bikes as it was very bike-friendly, with paths on almost every major road. Plus, the nightlife is really happening here and I didn't even dip my toe into that aspect.

WED_8112

Despite the Currywurst, I would plan on going back for some more wandering and museum-gawking.

No comments:

Post a Comment