Tuesday 15 September 2009

Plain Jane Socks

I almost always have at least one pair of socks on the needles. There is always room for them in my bag and they aren't a huge cumbersome mess to deal with on the commute. Here's a pair a finished last week:

sept2009 226

1. It's hard to take pictures of your own feet.
2. My official footwear photographer is still on vacation.

These blue socks started out as a different beast. The Eesti Trail Hiking Socks from Nancy Bush- a really simple, but ill-placed fair isle pattern. I had to frog these back a few times. Fair isle isn't exactly stretchy, and try as I might to keep my floats super-loose, I could not squeeze my feet into socks on past the pattern. Kind of defeats the purpose of a sock, right? Eventually, I just forgot about the fair isle part and these became my standard toe-up two-at-a-time socks.

Originally, these were going to be for my Grandfather. He lives in Northern Maine and he's diabetic, so I thought warm woolies would be appreciated. Once I got going on them I started questioning the fit. I have a good idea about what size he is, but diabetics can't be messing with their feet. Would the short-row toe be too bulky for him? Would the heel bunch up and fold at the bottom of his foot? He loves wool socks, but without him there to try them on and give me feedback, I gave up.

They are now being gifted to my mom's boyfriend, who picks me up at the airport when I'm in town and is a pretty good guy. He spends a lot of time outdoors in winter- snowshoeing, XC skiing, walking the dog, chasing after bad guys down dark alleyways.



No comments:

Post a Comment