Monday 14 December 2009

Lucerne

I spent a weekend in Lucerne. It's about an hour train ride from Zurich and absolutely gorgeous.

Lucerne

How cool is that, to have a big-ass mountain in your backyard? It makes me think I've spent too much time at sea level.

Lucerne has a quaint medieval old town that had a lot of ritzy upscale shops. This is where the wealthy come to ski and spend money. Still, it had its charms, including the 13th century Chapel Bridge.

Lucerne


There was an enormous city wall surrounding the old town. Unforgivably, it was closed for the season, but the view from the wall is supposed to be amazing.

Lucerne

No matter though. I found Alpacas and Highland cows grazing nearby.

oct2009 627

oct2009 629

dec2009 714

That's the lion monument, which commemorates the Swiss guards who were killed in the French Revolution.


One of these bad boys will get you close to the top of 7000ft Pilatus in about an hour

Lucern


The nice thing about Switzerland is that any mountain worth climbing has a funicular, a hotel and a restaurant on top. It's -3 with hurricane force winds, but you can be sunning yourself and drinking your coffee while kicking off your high heels for a few minutes.

Pilatus

Lucern

Lucern

Alps

The mountain really casts an impressive shadow:
Shadow

Pilatus

The views from the top are spectacular. Nothing but mountains as far as you could see to the south, and occasionally a glimpse of a green valley and a town nestled in there.

Pilatus

Pilatus

Pilatus

There are supposedly mountain goats that roam around, but they head down the slopes to deal with winter.

After having enough vertigo, it was time to head back down to sea level for some fondue and beer and pretzles.

Bretzle

There was good people watching. I honestly thought that guy was Clint Eastwood. Nope.

Lucern


Dog, waiting for his owner

Lucky me, it was cold enough to wear all my knitwear, all at once:

dec2009 717

I'm wearing my clapotis scarf from a couple years ago, my Simply Marylin sweater, and unseen by the camera, my Jaywalker socks. Which is so ironic since I got yelled at for jaywalking while I was there.

A worthy afternoon was spent at the Rosengart Museum. It had a huge collection of Picasso and Klee, and it was the perfect size as to not make your eyes glaze over with a case of museumitis.


------

I have FOs and some new yarn to show off..tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment