Monday 7 June 2010

DC

I was in DC over the weekend. It was hot and humid and perfect for museum hopping and catching up with friends.

DC trip, June 2010

DC trip, June 2010

DC trip, June 2010

Disapproving man DISAPPROVES.

DC trip, June 2010


By the way, the National Gallery had a Hieronymus Bosch painting called "Death and the Miser".



Very few of his paintings are outside of Europe. It's always a thrill to see one up close.


DC trip, June 2010

DC trip, June 2010

These Mules were taking a break from towing a flat-bottom boat down the C&O canal.

DC trip, June 2010

The new breakfast of champions:

DC trip, June 2010

Sloe Gin fizzes and homemade donuts and whipped cream. What a wonderful way to start the day.

I got to see some of my knitwear recipients, although it was waaay to warm for any of that nonsense.

DC trip, June 2010

DC trip, June 2010

I did get quite a bit of knitting done on the 4 hour train ride each way. More exciting than that, I went to the Dupont Circle Farmer's Market on Sunday morning and stumbled upon this:

DC trip, June 2010

Solitude Farm had a booth there. They specialize in breed-specific yarn from locally raised sheep...Clun Forest, Shropshire, Tunis, Suffolk, Dorset, Karkul, Romney, Border Leicesters and Leicester Longwool yarn. I'm a sucker for breed-specific yarn and I love the fact that they are utilizing rare sheep breeds. Plus, the women who were running the booth were super sweet and knowledgeable about their product and willing to chat and share their enthusiasm. Super score...if you are in DC on a weekend, I would highly recommend checking them out.

Naturally, I couldn't resist taking home a souvenir from my trip:

DC trip, June 2010

It's 120 yards of DK weight yarn that's a blend of Clun Forest and Alpaca. Cluns are a hardy,medium-sized sheep from northern England. They are a down breed, meaning they have short, dense, elastic fleece.

I didn't get home until the wee hours of Monday morning, but the sleep deprivation was totally worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Love the Bosch! Never saw one until I went to the Nat'l Gallery :)

    ReplyDelete