Tuesday 10 January 2012

FO: Merino Lace Socks

Well hello! I'm so happy that I didn't publicly declare my need to "blog more" in the New Year. I have some nice things to show off, plus plenty of events and pictures to share, but really no good time to sit down and collect my thoughts on anything in particular. Everything is good though.

So, first up, a pair of socks. They will be the last socks I knit for a while...I want to knit some sweaters this year and I'm finding that a pair of socks will ofttimes take me just as long as a sweater. So I quit. Cold turkey. I swear it. I do miss them dearly though- the sweater sleeves I'm working on don't fit in my bag quite as nicely, and when I pull them out, they tend to cause everything else in my bag to empty out onto the floor. I will survive this atrocity however.

This started out as a couple of skeins of Koigu KPPPM that I had in my stash. The colors were so pretty, and a cushy merino sock yarn is always a joy to work with. I've been wanting to make a pair of Merino Lace socks for a while, and I thought this yarn was subtle enough to make nice with the busy pattern.

stash 125

I cast them on while traveling. The lace pattern was easy, but I didn't quite get around to memorizing it. It was a lovely fun pattern though, with a girly ruffle on top.

008

The pattern seemed like it might be a little too lumpy-bumpy to go under a pair of shoes, so I did the foot plain. I love them. An appropriate "last sock" to kick off my self-imposed sock diet.

012

I only did 4 lace repeats on the cuff and I'm glad I did- I had very little yarn left in the end. What I did with the leftovers was string up my darning needle and reinforce the heel properly. Socks are meant to be used and abused and worn and worn out, but you can try to fight it a little, right? It's like botox for socks.

019

They were gifted over Xmas to another knitter, who needed a little mood pick-up to go with cozy feet in winter.

022

Yup. It's hard to take pictures of your own feet.

1 comment: