Thursday 1 May 2014

FO: Sunday Swing Socks

I've gotten into the habit of knitting exclusively for gifts lately.  Years and years of knitting has saturated my wardrobe with knitwear.  I can't possibly fit another pair of socks in my sock draw, even if I tried, and I have to make a real effort to make sure that every pullover and cardigan in my collection gets used every season.  I'd like to think I've been gifting all this stuff for years out of the kindness of my own heart.  True, lots of times, I make things specifically with certain friends and family in mind.  International postage is quite high though, and lately, whomever happens to be in my sights the moment something is blocked ends up with fresh new socks to wear.

I really love these socks.  


I made the foot plain, as it's so much easier to shove your foot in a pair of shoes with them on when there isn't a bulky cable pattern or nubs of lace to indent into your skin.  The cuffs, I used the pattern from the Sunday Swing Socks, a free pattern on Knitty.  It's a simple, flowing lace pattern that worked nicely with the self-striping yarn.


The one bad thing about gifting all these socks is that I don't know what kind of wear and tear the yarn may or may not hold up to.  This yarn doesn't seem to be too worrisome: it's Regia Blitz Color, a really solid superwash wool and nylon blend that gave me no concerns as I was knitting them.  It seems like the uncomplicated stuff that you can throw in the washer without coming up with baby booties at the end of the cycle, and they will hopefully last for years.


 Oh!  I do have close up the heel join though, it's a bit of an obvious gap.


Great pattern, lovely yarn.  This is why I keep on knitting well after I'm plenty warm.



No comments:

Post a Comment