Monday 30 August 2010

FO- In Season Socks

I love me some good summer tomatoes. I've gotten to the point where I abstain from anything but the best ones that are in season so fleetingly this time of year. Once you've grown your own, you will never again be able to have one of those mealy, flavorless red bombs you get at the grocery store in January.

Being in the city, you have to be a little ingenious with your gardening.

Spring 2007

These thrived on our fire escape in the East Village one summer.

East 4th St Apt

Well, that is until the landlord made us move them.

tomato

Apparently, fire escapes are some sort of safety feature to a building. We couldn't convince the landlord otherwise and they found a new home in the back yard. Still, for a time, it was really nice to reach out the window and voila! have a handful of ripe red tomatoes that were 10x better then those shelf-stable grocery store kind.

So last summer, when I got my Socks that Rock selection for the sock club, I pretty much squealed like an 8 year old who is given a kitten.

spindles 118

Behold: it's all the colors of heirloom tomatoes in one skein of sock yarn. Or jellybeans. Take your pick. The color is called "Garden Daze".

Picture 004

I didn't get a chance to use it right away, but when this summer rolled around, I dug it back out. The sock pattern that went with the yarn was called "In Season", and I thought it was a lovely way to show off such great yarn.

From Astle camp 2010


I cast them on while we were camping overnight in New Hampshire. They came up to Maine with me for summer vacation and I finished them up in about a week. Lots of sunshine and beach time this year.

Yarn (28)

The rolled cuff has a cable detail, and then it goes into 1x1 rib for the rest of the sock.

Yarn (31)

I made them slightly longer then the pattern called for (they were supposed to be anklets) and that was my only modification.

Yarn (30)

They came out a bit big: they will either be slipper-socks or be gifted to someone with bigger feet than I.

The specs:

I used 2.25mm needles and 1 skein of Socks That Rock lightweight in the "Garden Daze". I didn't have a whole lot of yarn leftover out of the 360 yard skein. The 1x1 ribbing really ate up a lot of yardage. It made for a dense, cushy sock.

These are part of my A-Z stashdown challenge. I'm actually getting through my Socks that Rock stash...I have 2 more skeins of lightweight sock yarn to go. I made good on my promise to sell anything that I couldn't find a pattern for:

aug2 033

The "Watermelon Tourmaline" colorway is gorgeous (plus, I love tourmaline stones). Yet I couldn't bear to make yet another pair of loud, stripey socks that overwhlem the pattern. The skein found a new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment