Tuesday 2 February 2010

FO- Yarn Over Steek Vest

This one only took a couple days to make.




It's the Yarn-over Steek Vest by Teva Durham. I thought the overwhelmingly girly pink color of the sample garment wasn't right, but I liked the concept of the design.

spindles 014

I used 4 skeins of Rowan Soft Tweed that I had dyed first in a henna exhaust bath and then in an alkanet exhaust. The end result was very brown and earthy looking. I thought it was a good match for a raw, organic looking garment.

spindles 009

I made some changes to the armhole and shoulders. I wasn't getting row gauge (not even close) and it's one of those patterns where it factors in. I just fudged the decreases and added rows until it was big enough, while keeping the yarn-overs going in the middle.

It's a sexy, but wearable.

spindles 001

I was going to finish the armholes with some crochet, but decided that the raw look didn't detract from the rest of the piece.

spindles 005

The specs: I used 4 skeins of Rowan Soft Tweed- about 435 yards. I used size 11 needles, and then fudged the pattern to accommodate my row gauge- I did rows of plain st stitch in between armhole decreases and I didn't decrease as much for the shoulders. This is the large size, but I added some decreases to shape the waste and ended up with the stitch count of the medium.

The open front means it's very stretchy and form-fitting. It's one of those unusual pieces that you need a little attitude to wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment