Wednesday 17 February 2010

Some WIPs

I've somehow gotten involved in the Ravelympics. It's totally arbitrary, but you choose a project and cast on during the Olympic opening ceremonies and complete it before the closing ceremonies.

I'm using some Dream in Color Smooshy sock yarn:

2009 034

The color is "Cloud Jungle". It's superwash merino, and utterly smooshy.

I'm making the Ishbel shawl. This picture is a few days old, but I'm on the last lace section now. I think I'll have enough yarn leftover for a matching hat.

wips 043

I love the color. I was thinking it might be too busy for a lace pattern, but it is subtle enough so it works.

wips 044

The colors remind me of the inside of an oyster shell.

Since I can't multitask while knitting lace, I am also working on the Lion Neck Cardigan.



I'm not quite sure about wearing it with short-shorts, but it will be a cozy cardi. I'm using Rowan Scottish Tweed Chunky, so my fabric is denser then the sample shown. I'm hoping it won't be so dense that it will stand up on its own.

wips 050

The yarn is woolen-spun 2ply, which makes for a fuzzy yarn and a little variation in the thickness. It's not quite a thick-and-thing yarn. Kind of more of a thick and thicker yarn.

In a sweater frenzy, I also cast on for the Baby Cables and Big Ones Too. I've been wanting to make myself a Cobblestone type yolk sweater, but I kept seeing people at Rhinebeck wearing this one. I liked how it was a bit more feminine then the Cobblestone and the cable details are sweet.

I'm using some Valley Yarns Northfield that I dyed in eucalyptus. It made the house smell great and I got a bright gold yellow color from it to boot.

Woolie things

It take some concentration- there are plain rows in between- but there are a five sets of stitch markers to denote placement of five different cables, plus raglan markers and increases and oh, I think I'll be working on this exclusively at home in good lighting for a little bit.

wips 047

wips 048

Of course, I have not forgotten about my commitment to the A-Z project. Once the Ravelympics/Olymipics are over with, I'll jump back on to the Shetland Shorty bandwagon. Here's what I had before I put it aside:

wips 046

The bird's eye lace pattern is easy, but it's really hard to correct mistakes. I've had to tink back twice so far because of a mesh mess I made. I'm stopped at the shoulder shaping, but it feels like I've ripped back more than I've knitted.

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, when do you find time to do all this?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love the eucalyptus yarn you dyed. That is gorgeous stuff. How did you buy dye that makes the house smell great? Where would I get some of that. I have only tried Kool Aid dyeing so far.

    Your oyster shell Ishbel is gorgeous too. You knit so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I'm not the only super crazy knitter who has more than one thing on the needles. I inadvertently started a ravlympics without even knowing! I cast on http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/osez on Friday and I'm on the last sleeve today!

    ReplyDelete