Thursday 9 June 2011

Defying Gravity

I've been doing yoga for ages now. When I get a good groove on with the instructor and style that I'm comfortable with, I absolutely love it. I like Iyengar and Vinyasa the best, Ashtanga and Bikram the least. After being in the office all day it's really nice to relax and have a good stretch. After, I feel more calm and collected and an eerie optimism creeps into my thoughts.

I joined a studio near my office that has a nice schedule of daily lunchtime classes. I got really excited when I found out they offered "Anti-gravity" yoga. I would highly recommend watching This Video from The NY Times.



It's so much fun doing yoga suspended from the ceiling and upside down. Having the sling supporting some of your weight means you can be more experimental with your poses, and not having the floor in your way really expands the amount of stretching you can do. It's also a killer workout. Lots of work for the abs and arms and shoulders lifting yourself up and holding yourself steady. There will also be no moments of passive rest as you always have to be actively balancing. It's quite the workout.

I know this is just novelty yoga, but the element of playfulness is refreshing. Hanging upside down from my legs on a swing is something I haven't done since I was a kid. It used to come so naturally as part of play, but now I hesitate to let go. It takes a minute to trust yourself to not fall before you can let gravity take over.

Also, the hammocks are made from silk. Gorgeous, drapey, lustrous silk. How can I resist the silkworm's siren cry?

No comments:

Post a Comment