Friday 23 September 2011

Happy Autumnal Equinox!

The geese are flying south.

September 2011

Sweet potatoes are becoming my favorite comfort food once again and I'm making a voluptuous red sauce out what might be one of the last weeks I'll get tomatoes. The crisper is full of the apples that I've been waiting for since last November, and I'm trying to limit myself to a reasonable number a day. 3 maybe? 4 if they are small. Oh, they are so good.

Best of all, the colder water fall ushers in has caused Oysters to build up their glycogen stores once again. Instead of the limp, pallid, deflated creatures I've been politely slurping all summer, there is now an influx of fat, flavorful ostreidae. It's truly a New York tradition to feast on these glorious little bivalves as there are oyster middens that the Lenapes created after their own oyster feasts.

September 2011

Jonathan Swift once said, "He was a bold man that first ate an oyster", and I was quite worked up on liquid courage the first time I dared myself to try one. They are probably the most amazingly simple thing to eat- all it requires is a squeeze of lemon and maybe some hot sauce, but this is all about getting the freshest oysters you can find and savoring their oceanic briney goodness.

September 2011

It's also a good time to check out wine, beer and food tastings in the event. They frequently start out quiet and serious, but then turn raucous and joyful about halfway through, and then you generally meet about 20 of your new best friends.

September 2011

Also, when I get 5 minutes to myself at home, I've been carding really lovely luxury batts like the batty lady that I am. Expect an Etsy shop update next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment