Saturday 8 March 2014

FO: Roosimine socks


Socks!  They are still my favorite thing to knit, and I almost always have a pair on the needles.  The current pair has been neglected while I find time to concentrate on lacework, but eh.  They are getting there.    

These were an interesting knit, although not easy.  They are the Roosimine socks by Caoua Coffee.  It's the same designer who did the Porthos socks, and I really love her patterns.  The technique on these requires some skill- at first glance they might look like fair isle or stranded knitting ( in fact, you could do them intarsia if you were so inclined) but the contrasting yarn is carried across the front of the sock in pattern, and then loosely looped in back to be picked up again for the next round.  It's kind of like combining weaving with knitting.  Not the most practical or easy way to go, but I thought they were pretty and it was something I hadn't done before.



The blue yarn is a leftover skein of Skinny Bugga from this sweater I made.  The color is bomber worm.  The contrast yarn is some leftovers from Silver Moon Farm from this pair of socks.  I thought the combination worked out nicely.

Once the roosimine pattern was done with, there was some really fun shaping on the instep that makes for a more elegantly shaped foot.


The only thing I would have done differently would be to make the cast-on edge stretchy.  I usually don't have a problem, but by the time I was done with the pattern, the socks were long enough to hit the part of my calf that starts to not be ankle-thin.  They just bunch up a little bit where the cuff can't really stretch over my leg.



They took a little time, but I love them.  It's a good use of scrap yarn to do the patterning, and the abstract climbing vine will look nice peaking out from a pair of cropped pants.  

No comments:

Post a Comment