Wednesday 14 July 2010

FO- Manly Wanida Socks

I knit for my man quite a bit. He doesn't seem to mind. Two keys to getting a successful garment in the end: Let him pick the pattern. Let him pick the color. You'll end up knitting a lot in navy, brown and gray but he will wear all of it.

So I was a little surprised when he chose socks that were, um, lace. But manly lace. Not grandma-doily lace, but faux cables kind of lace. The butch kind of lace. Which is nice because cables can make a sock a bit bulky and heavy, and lace will do nothing but add some air conditioning. And it's only eyelets, it's not frilly at all.

The yarn:

aug2 043

Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock Lightweight. The colorway is "Obsidian". It's 100% superwash merino. I used almost the entire skein for the pair.

aug2 044

It's a heavy fingering weight, which makes for fast knitting and dense, cushy socks. Comfort socks.

Here is the original pattern:



I did Cookie A's "Wanida" socks from "Sock Innovation", but modified them to be toe-up. Also, I did them two at a time. I also made the foot plain. It's hard to cram a patterned sock into a shoe, so I tend to make my foots plain, and leave the patterned part to where it can be seen on the cuff. Once I turned the heel, I started the lace charts as written. I finished these while we were on the road and I didn't have a darning needle for a stretchy sewn bind-off, so I taught myself the Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off and now I don't need to do a sewn bind-off anymore.

FOs- Wanida Socks

These didn't take long at all to make- They were finished within two weeks. They will get tucked away for fall.

Ugh, excuse the crap pictures. I know I can do much better. I get super-lazy when it's sweltering out. I like to knit socks in summer since not a whole lot of wool will spill over and smother your lap with its warm wooliness. Trying to squeeze my sweaty pieds into them was a whole 'nother issue.

FO Wanida

This is part of my A-Z stashdown challenge. Never you mind that I've moved on to the letter B before I finished spinning and knitting up some Alpaca. B is for Blue Moon Fiber Arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment