Thursday 7 February 2013

Glace

One of the pleasures of Paris in Winter are the many pop-up ice rinks around the city.

WED_2793

This one set up in front of Hôtel-de-Ville (city hall) is particularly picturesque, with its grand Renaissance facade and Notre Dame as a surreal back drop.

WED_2797 WED_2802 WED_2803 WED_2809 WED_2810 WED_2815

I failed to pack my big, flouncy, multi-petticoated skating skirt with me to Paris. I guess I'll just have to do this in jeans like everyone else. Sigh.

WED_2818

I'm a fan of antique carrousels, which Paris has plenty of. There's a particularly pretty one set up next to the ice rink right now. While industrial plastic models abound, you can still occasionally find hand-carved steeds with real horsehair manes and tails.

WED_2786

Not too many kids wanting to ride this time of year.

WED_2789

No comments:

Post a Comment