Wednesday 30 September 2009

September Spunky Club

It was a good week as far as stash enhancement being delivered via USPS. I got my box of fiber from Spunky Eclectic this week.

sept2009 479

I apologize for the picture quality. It was raining and I was impatient.

sept2009 476

as much as I hate to use a flash, this shows the true colors best:
sept2009 474

It's 8 oz of Blue Face Leicester wool in the colorway "Rolling Hills". Earthy colors, my favorite! Straw yellows, a purpley brown and olive green. The colors play really nice off each other- it all looks very natural and the color changes subtle. Of course, the fact that it's BFL doesn't hurt.

Fiber clubs are a great way to try different kinds of wool. Every month, there is a new breed of sheep magically appearing at my door. Well, um, not quite so magic as there is a credit card transaction involved. For the most part, I like the colors that Amy uses to hand-paint roving. If there is a month where the colors or the fiber doesn't speak to me, I can always find someone to trade with. I opted for the "double fiber" club- 4 oz is a good amount, but 8oz is better! I can generally get a pretty good-sized project out of 8oz. If I ply it with something neutral or complimentary, i can usually get a sweater's worth of yarn.

It's also good for matching accessories- 8 oz will be more then enough for a hat and mittens set, or a hat and scarf. 'cause you know, knitters really don't match their accessories very well. I am guilty of this fashion crime. My goal this year is to have more matching winter knitwear sets. I tend to get bored with my yarn after just one FO and ready to move on to a totally new project as soon as I can.

My new mantra: Matching Sets.

No comments:

Post a Comment