Monday 22 August 2011

Flatirons and Boulder Falls

High above the city, Boulder Creek twist and turns and cuts its way through some lofty canyons. There are some really pretty scenic areas along the creek, but none as much as Boulder Falls.

Colorado 2011 335

Colorado 2011 306

Colorado 2011 327

I was completely mesmerized. I love the sound of rushing water. It puts me in a very quiet trance and I can't pull myself away from it.

Colorado 2011 348

There were rock climbers scaling a cliff across from the falls. I enjoy having earth beneath my feet. It's just one of those things that I'll never have the urge to do, and I'm okay with it. Still, those spider-people are amazing.

Further up the Canyon, you start to get gorgeous views of the Rockies again.

Colorado 2011 355

We decided to go for a hike in the Flatirons, directly West of Boulder. It's an enormously popular recreation area. There are tons of people out walking their dogs, hiking, running and climbing.

Colorado 2011 365

It's a mountain with distinctive wedge-shaped sheer rock slabs on one side. The mountain is the city's iconic symbol and mascot.

Colorado 2011 370

We choose a rather strenuousness hike to the Royal Arch. It was only two miles to get there, but it gained 1,400 feet of elevation. Gah.

Colorado 2011 381

Colorado 2011 385

Colorado 2011 405

Did I mention that we did a pretty intense yoga class earlier in the day? My legs were letting me know.

Colorado 2011 401

Colorado 2011 410

It's a good place to be if you are the type of person that feels the need to justify a burger for dinner. You've earned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment