Monday 12 October 2009

Aeolian- ready for its closeup

At some point while knitting the Aeolian, I realized that I'm not really a shawl kind of girl. I like scarves, but I had never picked up a shawl and found it wearable. I wish I had this kind of insight when I decided to knit a poncho. I mean, really. Why would I knit a poncho when I wouldn't be caught dead in one?

Well, I have changed my mind. I am a shawl kind of girl after all.

sept2009 799

sept2009 785

sept2009 767

sept2009 801

sept2009 788

I feel a little Stevie Nicks-ish, or like I might cast a spell on some unsuspecting children on a whim, but it's wearable and absolutely lovely. It's my most complex project to date. While not difficult, it required a whole lot of concentration.

The beads magically disappeared- you can't really see them at all unless you look close. If i did it again I would have chosen darker beads.

sept2009 752

I did the 9-stitch nupps since the 7-stitch ones just looked like a glitch.

The bind off ate up a ton of yardage and took most of a day to do, but it's totally worth it. It makes the shawl.

The specs: I used about 5 oz of BFL in natural oatmeal color. 2 ply, I got about 22 WPI. I spun 560 yards total and knitted on a size us5 needle. I used approximately 600 beads.

This was all the yarn I had left:

sept2009 753

I'm now debating casting on for the Swallowtail shawl, or maybe the Icarus.

No comments:

Post a Comment