Monday 30 November 2009

Simply Marylin

I'm back! I have lots of catching up to do, but I wanted to show off a FO. I finished this before I left. It's the Simply Marylin sweater from Interweave Knits from waaay back in Spring 2004.

oct2009 670

I've been wanting to make it for a while- it's a great casual pullover. Very wearable. I used 9 skeins of RYC Soft Tweed yarn, which is a bulky weight felted single. I dyed it in natural dyes since I got it deeply discounted ($1.50 a skein!) but in a pukey peach color.

oct2009 669

I decided to knit myself the small size. It's meant to be big and sack-like, and that's cute on the model, who is practically swimming in the sweater. Not so cute when you have curves that will actually fill out the sweater.

I made a few big modifications. I knit this in the round to the pits since the seems add bulk. Because of that, I cast on 4 fewer stitches to make up for the selvage stitches. The pattern calls for there to be a cable running up the back as well...I decided to take that detail out. It just seemed odd to have a cable there. I added more waist shaping decreases.

The neck in the original is a huge cowl. I didn't need that extra bulk and most of the FO that people had looked awkward, so I changed the neck and shoulder shaping and I made a square-ish neckline and then picked up stitches and did a few rows of ribbing instead. I like it like this much better.

In the end, I went back and picked up some stitches along the bottom and added a few rows of ribbing. I didn't want to have to be tugging at the hem.

I'm very happy with this sweater! In the pictures, I was about to go out for a hike so I'm wearing a rather confining jiggle-free sports bra, so I'm usually a bit bustier and fill out the sweater better.

oct2009 663

2 comments:

  1. I love this. You made a sweater that will surely get lots of good use. Nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog from Ravelry as I am thinking about making this sweater. I really like the neckline changes you made. I'm not a cowl neck kind of girl, they just make my shoulders cold! Thanks for posting pictures, I'm sure they will come in handy when I'm trying to modify the neckline!

    I really love the color you got from the over dye. Great job!

    ReplyDelete