Wednesday 7 March 2012

FO: Wee Shadow Tuque

...In which I turn my gauge mistake into baby garments, aka generous gifts for the baby rabies crowd.

014

It's the Shadow Tuque hat from Interweave Knits. I was going to make it as a gift for a friend who is also a big fan of UPS colors, but right away realized that she would have to go to Papua New Guinea for a bit in order to get her head to the point where she could squeeze into it comfortably. Instead of frogging the 20 minutes worth of work I had on it, I changed my game plan and decided that now a friend with a bun in the oven would like a UPS man for a child. And so it is written.

018

I made a pom-pom with the leftover yarn, which required an online tutorial. Hello Knitty had a great one- it's simple to do, but not having had to make a pom since I dressed as a mime for halo-ween in grade school meant I needed a refresher course. (About that mime costume...if clowns are scary to you, try being on the other side of the face paint. Terrifying.)

The yarn is a single skein of Rowan Drift, which is a loosely spun bulky merino single. At a looser gauge, I would have used up most of the ball, but on size 9 needles (and a miniature cranium) this wasn't a problem. Hence the pom to finish things off. The pattern is from Interweave Knits Fall 2001. It is a simple off-set cable that looks very much like the bark of a ceder tree, especially when knit in UPS brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment