Thursday 2 August 2012

Monet's Garden

At the famed writer's roundtable at the Algonquin hotel (which is now run by Marriott, boo) they used to play a word game in which a word was shouted and you had to give a witty definition on the spot. Someone gave Dorothy Parker the word "Horticulture", in which she quipped, "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think".

Which made me giggle when I was 14 and it makes me giggle today still, especially when I find myself wandering around a beautiful oasis such as the garden in back of Monet's house.

I know that impressionist painting is kind of a gateway drug into fine art, and people love love love the impressionist wings at any museum. I grow a little tired of it- I feel it got really over exposed and commercialized with all this waterlilies this and waterlilies that printed on every imaginably surface. It's not my favorite style, but I realize that it was am important step in the abstract direction.

I'm not going to pass up a chance to check out a beautiful garden though.

I've been wanting to make the trip up for a while, but I really didn't want to deal with a rainy day. I'm glad I waited. This wouldn't have been a fun day otherwise.

WED_5418

It's an easy trip- a 45 minute train ride from St Lazare to Vernon station, and then either a quiet country walk for a couple miles, or a shuttle bus will bring you to the village of Giverny.

WED_5417

If you want to skip the line to get in, which is breathtakingly long, you can buy your tickets online in advance, or take a stroll over to the Impressionist Museum down the street and buy a combined ticket, and then you can smugly cut in front of everyone.

WED_5094

The gardens were lovely. The layers and layers of colors was just incredible. I don't think I've ever been to in such a highly concentrated pollenated area.

WED_5096

I was in awe of the work that went into this place.

WED_5100 WED_5104

SO MANY FLOWERS!

WED_5106 WED_5107

Everyone flocks to the part of the garden which because synonymous with Monet- the Waterlilies.

WED_5112

What begins as a quiet forest stream turns into the pond where his most famous works were painted. In French, these works are known as Les Nymphéas.

WED_5118

Inspired by prints from Japan, Monet had built himself a Japanese style water garden on a stream by the Seine.

WED_5121

It really does look like a Monet painting!

WED_5136 WED_5139 WED_5145

You couldn't help but feeling inspired by it.

WED_5148

I mean, I hate to gush and all, but it's a really lovely place.

WED_5149

July just happens to be when Les Nymphéas are in bloom. I'm sure it's lovely at any time of the year, but it was a real treat to see the blooms on the water.

WED_5153 WED_5220 WED_5221

We did make it a point to go very early in the morning, but it got crowded really quickly. We had a few quiet moments where the world was just sunny and peaceful and happy.

There were bees everywhere!

WED_5248

I'm actually surprised they aren't selling special Monet Honey in the giftshop.

WED_5263

You couldn't take pictures inside the house, but it had a lot of the Japanese art on the walls, a recreation of his studio, bedrooms with a garden view, and a really nice big kitchen.

WED_5292 WED_5295 WED_5266 WED_5268 WED_5269 WED_5272 WED_5282

I could have stayed there all day, watching the light change and watching the bees fill up their bee-pants with pollen.

WED_5283

The people watching wasn't all the bad either.

WED_5285 WED_5287 WED_5290

If you are in Paris and want to take a countryside daytrip, I would highly recommend it. Go early or on the weekdays to avoid the crowds, and they close from November-April.

No comments:

Post a Comment