Friday 28 September 2012

Heritage Days

For one weekend a year in September, you can see all sorts of things in Paris that you normally couldn't. It's the Journées du Patrimoine, the Heritage Days, when some notable closed-to-the-public spaces become public.

WED_7599

We headed over to the Palais du Luxembourg to see the Sénat. A pleasant surprise on the way there was that the Garden's Greenhouses were open as well.

WED_7605 WED_7614

So many honeybees!

WED_7617

I always feel like the bees know the days for collecting are numbered this time of year.

WED_7631 WED_7635 WED_7646

They do keep hives on the other side of the Garden. I'm sure that's why they have the most spectacular blooms.

WED_7659

The Sénat was a long wait to get in and packed with people.

WED_7686 WED_7668 WED_7669

The palais du Luxembourg was built for Catherine de Medici and it was appropriately fit for a queen before being repurposed into the Senate.

WED_7673 WED_7676 WED_7679 WED_7680 WED_7690 WED_7702

2 comments:

  1. Sara, I can't tell you how much I enjoy your daily posts! It's been way too long since I've been to Paris (and never to Budapest or Prague), but your reports keep me smiling, hungry, thirsty, and salivating for a long-overdue trip. Thanks so much for these awesome reports!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol! I do miss Brooklyn a whole lot. Tacos, dim sum, bialys. Good pizza. Burgers that aren't mashed-up and awkwardly cooked tartare. I am trying to take advantage and get out as much as I can while I'm here.

      Delete