Saturday 21 December 2013

My Name is for My Friends

A bit late to the party, yes, but I got kind of misty-eyed at the passing of Peter O'Toole last week. "I will not be a common man. I will stir the smooth sands of monotony."

As Groucho once said, his name is a double phallic, which always makes me giggle. But anyway...Lawrence of Arabia might be one of my favorite films ever. It's really only appreciated if you see it on the big screen, as it was meant to be seen. I was lucky and saw it at the Zeigfield, and even though I had seen it before, I felt like I really experienced it for the first time. It totally inspired me to ride camels through the Sahara desert last year.

Morocco

His legendary stories of drinking and debauchery with the likes of Richard Burton, Peter Finch, Omar Sharif and Richard Harris are always worth looking into. “I did quite enjoy the days when one went for a beer at one’s local in Paris and woke up in Corsica.” Take that, kid who ended up in Paris.

Some of his other movies were fantastic too- he claimed that he and Burton were drunk through the entire filming of "Becket", and they seem to be having a riot.

The world just seems a little less fun without him.

No comments:

Post a Comment